We’re always looking to better our blogging power, reach more people, and get them to come visit our awesome blog! I know I’ve said before how Pinterest was my personal social account that needed work (and a bit of a transformation of sorts) to fully utilize it’s benefits, and I have been doing some investigating. Since media trends are always changing, we stress the importance of always learning more – even if you are a seasoned blogging pro. Check into our current classes, and see ways that we can help take your blog to another level.
- First, get started with the basics! I wrote a post last year called “5 Pinterest Tips & Tricks,” check out this post as it will cover the Pinterest foundation that you need to build on.
- Pay attention to keywords – We are constantly looking at what keyword phrases people are using in search engines to find our blogs, and use those phrases more often. Apply these keywords to Pinterest as well, since it is essentially a search engine, too. Simply update the description of your boards, using these keywords. This will help you become more visible and be pinned more frequently.
- Take your focus off of hashtags. While they work better in search on twitter, hashtags tend to be a bit too broad for Pinterest and won’t result in helping your pin show up more in search results. Stick to keyword phrases.
- Categorize your pins in the description. This not only helps for organization, but will help people who are searching for something in that category. For instance, if you are pinning a recipe, do something like this:
Recipe: Stuffed Spinach Chicken Breasts (then continue with your description)
- Pay attention to what’s being pinned and create more pins like that. You can easily access this information by typing this into your browser and replacing your domain: http://pinterest.com/source/yourdomain.com
- Schedule pins. I know this sounds a little daunting, but Hootsuite just made it easier by letting you schedule pins using Tailwind through their dashboard. This enables you to hit your readers with pins during peak hours, even if you are out at the beach this summer! You can learn more about that here.
Group Boards 101
Group boards are really where it’s at! There are hundreds of thousands of Pinterest group boards in your niche that have thousands of followers waiting to read your content – it’s tapping into them that’s the tricky part. A group board is a Pinterest board that is shared by many people and followed by many more, that give people access to one specific topic. This gives you mucho pinning power! Typically, there are rules to follow, such as re-pinning a pin that is not yours for every pin that you add, and this helps everyone.
First, if you join our INTRO NYC Blogger Network, you will be immediately invited to our group board – yippee! Beyond that, the first place to look is pingroupie.com, which has the ultimate online listing of group pin boards. Once you find a group board you would like to be a part of, you will typically find in the description of the board how to become a part of it. This is where it gets tricky because sometimes the description isn’t there or the board owner is unresponsive. You just have to keep trying!
The main takeaway about group boards is to only be a apart of ones that truly match your niche, otherwise it will be a waste of time. Happy pinning!